Monday, December 17, 2007

Asking...

One thing I regret at the beginning when Caleb was first born was not asking for help as much as I should have. Before he was born my thoughts were "I can do this.....I have babysat SO MANY TIMES....I am good with kids.....I have nieces and nephews and I can take care of them". Boy, is it different when you are the MOM! When the child is with you 24/7 things are much different.

Now, when Caleb is just over 5 months old, I am learning how to ask for help from friends and family. I am reaching out to other mothers and asking for suggestions and a helpful hand. It is amazing what sympathy and helpful hints you get from mothers that have been there! It was a huge revelation for me when I realized that I am not the only one in this boat of motherhood (it seems like a simple thing to grasp but for me it wasn't). Not only do I have a wonderful husband by my side who is, and will always, be there for me, but there are MANY mothers who have been in the same boat as me.....they have had the same heartache when their baby hurts and when their baby cries. They have stood just beyond the bedroom door as their baby cries and their own tears are running down their face! THEY HAVE BEEN THERE TOO!

If I could give advice to any new mother, I would say: Don't hesitate to ask for help from those you love and trust! They will pull through for you! No question is a stupid question when you are just figuring out this FULL time job of motherhood! You are not alone!

Just something I have learned (and am still learning) over the past 5 months! :) Motherhood is hard work but the benefits and joys FAR FAR outweigh the struggles!

2 comments:

C.J. and Keri said...

Amy! Thanks for all of your encouraging comments! We DEFINITELY want to see you guys when we come to MI. We arrive Wed. morning to Chicago, and the first few days we'll be spending with my family b/c my sister and her husband will be there too. But we will definitely call you when we know our schedule more and find a time! I cannot believe how big and cute Caleb is getting! Keep the pics and stories a comin'! We love you guys!

Katie said...

Hi sis- I love reading your blog- you are a good writer and I appreciate your transparency- Jody and I talked about how it bugs us when moms are like I LIKE MY KID EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY and nothing is wrong in my life-- kind of makes me ill- do people really feel like that ALL the time, I don't think so!:) I like reading what is happening in your life. Love ya:), Katie